Shout out to Pooks Pantry for providing this inspiration for a healthy,
allergy friendly snack that can be enjoyed by everyone! The recipe
includes grated vegetables: carrots, zuchini, broccoli, cauliflower and
APRIL 25, 2
VEGAN VEGGIE CAKES
CREATE PINTEREST PIN4.7 Stars (6 Reviews)PRINT
Quick and simple vegan veggie cakes are a delicious way to eat more vegetables and use up veggie bits in the fridge!PREP TIME10 minutesCOOK TIME20 minutesTOTAL TIME30 minutes
- 2 cups beet greens and stems (from 1 large bunch or 2 small)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 carrots, peeled
- 1 cup scallions, diced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 5 tbsp. water
- +olive oil for frying
- In a medium pan, sauté beet greens, stems and red onion over medium heat until softened. (about 6 – 7 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Using a food processor (or a box grater), shred carrots.
- In a medium – large bowl, combine shredded carrots, scallions, parsley, garlic, panko, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine, making sure you don’t leave any large pockets of flour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water. After a minute or two, when it just begins to gel, add to bowl with carrot mixture and toss to work chia seeds into the mixture evenly.
- Add cooled beet greens and onions to carrot mixture and toss to combine evenly.
- Heat a cup of oil (in the same pan you used to cook the beet greens) over medium – medium/high heat until shimmering.
- Using a 2 ounce scoop or a 1/3 cup measure, portion out veggie cake mixture. Use your hands to lightly pack the veggie cakes so they retain their shape while cooking.
- Add cakes to pan and cook for 5 – 6 minutes per side until deep golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- If you prefer to bake them instead of cooking them on the stovetop, you can bake them at 350°F for about 20 minutes until they are crispy and the vegetables have cooked through. A light dusting of breadcrumb on the outside will help them crisp up in the oven.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 85TOTAL FAT: 2gSATURATED FAT: 0gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 2gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 526mgCARBOHYDRATES: 14gFIBER: 3gSUGAR: 2gPROTEIN: 3g
Nutrition information calculated by a third-party company as a courtesy. It is intended as a guideline only.
Making delicious little fritters or patties out of vegetables is my thing. I love trying new combinations of vegetables.
If you’re new to making vegetable cakes, make the recipe as written the first time or two. Then, try out a new combination with whatever you have.
VEGAN VEGGIE CAKE RECIPE
Similar to a rissole or a croquette, vegetable fritters are an easy veggie recipe that you can make in 30 minutes.
The great thing about these vegan veggie cakes is that you can make them with whatever you have in the house. No beet greens? No problem. Use spinach, kale or chard.
Just remember to squeeze any water out of the greens before adding to your mixture, or it will be watery.