This Vegan cake compliments of Mia Kouppa* looks so good!! Great to see a
cake without many of the major allergens! Flour can be replaced if needed.
*Taking the guessswork out of Greek Cooking….one cup at a time
Chocolate and blueberry cake
A vegan cake rich with chocolate flavour, blueberries and a chocolate glazePrep Time10 minsCook Time55 minsResting Time5 minsTotal Time1 hr 10 minsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanKeyword: Chocolate and blueberry cake, Greek lenten recipes, greek vegan desserts, Vegan chocolate cake Servings: 1 loaf cake Author: Mia Kouppa
- Electric mixer, optional
- 9 x 5 inch loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cup (225 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon for coating blueberries
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water room temperature
- 1 cup (150 grams) frozen blueberries
- vegetable spray or oil for coating loaf pan
For the glaze
- 1 cup (175 grams) vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your loaf pan with a thin layer or spray of vegetable oil and then line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder (1/3 cup only), baking soda, salt and vanilla powder (if that is what you are using). Whisk together to combine well.
- Next add to the flour mixture the vegetable oil, vinegar and water (and if you are using vanilla extract, add that in now).
- Using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer, mix all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Toss your frozen blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of reserved cocoa powder until well coated.
- Gently fold the blueberries into your cake batter using a rubber spatula.
- Pour your batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth out the top with your rubber spatula.
- Bake your cake in the middle rack of your oven for 55 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of your cake comes out clean.
- When your cake is ready, allow it to cool for 5 minutes in the loaf pan until transferring it out onto a cooling rack.
- Once your cake is completely cooled, prepare your glaze. Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil using a double boiler and once melted and smooth, pour the glaze over the loaf pan.
- Decorate the top of your cake with fresh blueberries if desired.
You can use fresh blueberries in this recipe but you may need to adjust your baking time. The glaze on this cake is optional; it is perfectly delicious even without the glaze. Alternatively, you can dust your cake with a bit of icing sugar.This cake keeps well at room temperature for 2 – 3 days. Any longer and your cake should be kept in the refrigerator. This cake also freezes well.