Well, could a cookie get any better than one with hot chocolate and
marshmallows!! Here it is and it looks as good if not better, than a cup of
hot cocoa with marshmallows. See the photo below and judge for
yourselves! Best of all, it’s allergy friendly – Yeah!!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
Recipe By: Alisa Fleming / Allergic Living
These rich, chewy and almost gooey Hot Chocolate Cookies are a delightful indulgence. Keeping them crunchy on the outside but “just baked” on the inside works perfectly with the sweet marshmallow topping.
Makes: 24 cookies
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup lightly packed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe avocado
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (see Tips) or shortening, such as Spectrum palm
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup mini-marshmallows (look for allergy-safe brand)
A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
If gluten is not a concern, you can use an equivalent amount of all-purpose flour in place of the brown rice flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, starch, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl, and blend until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheet, and flatten them slightly, to about 1/2-inch thickness. Bake them for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and gently press three marshmallows into the center of each cookie.
- Return the cookies to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, before removing them to wire racks to cool completely.